|Compost your real Christmas tree|
Option 1: Put your tree in your green cart
· Cut your tree into smaller pieces to fit inside your green cart (make sure the lid can close).
· Put extra branches into paper yard waste bags, roll closed and set one foot to the side of the
Trees that are not prepared this way will not be collected.
Option 2 – Bring to a tree drop-off from December 26 – February 2
· Remove all lights, ornaments, tinsel, string and tree stands.
· Do not wrap or bag your tree.
Find a list of drop-off locations at calgary.ca/christmastree.
Reduce, reuse and recycle right this holiday season
This holiday season, make sure your gift wrap, boxes and Christmas food scraps end up in the right cart. Better yet, make even less waste to put in a bin by reducing and reusing more items this Christmas!
Reduce waste this Christmas
· Gift the gift of an experience – tickets, lessons, outdoor activities
· Check what you have at home in the fridge/pantry before you shop
· Make a list and buy only what you need at the grocery store
· Skip paper napkins in favour of cloth ones
Reuse items this Christmas
· Wrap gifts with paper bags/gift boxes, jars and tins, fabrics or dishtowels
· Use reusable containers for leftovers instead of plastic wrap or tin foil
· Save bones for soup stock
· Donate gently used household items like working electronics, furniture, clothing, and toys to a local charity
Recycle and compost right this Christmas
· Crumple wrapping paper into a ball and put in blue cart (no metallic or foil gift wrap)
· Compost food scraps, toothpicks, paper napkins and paper plates in green cart
· Recycle tin cans, glass jars and plastic containers. Make sure they are empty, clean and dry.
Take old electronics to an electronics recycling drop-off – calgary.ca/electronics