Reduce, reuse and recycle right for the holidays
This holiday season, make sure your gift wrap, boxes and cookie tins end up in the right cart. Better yet, repurpose, reuse and get creative with how to reduce your waste this season. For holiday waste tips, visit calgary.ca/recycleright.
Holiday Collection Changes
There is no cart pick up on Christmas Day (Friday, Dec. 25) or New Year’s Day (Friday, Jan. 1) for single-family homes. If your blue, green or black carts are normally picked up on Friday, your collection day will be three days later, on Monday.
- Christmas Day (Friday, Dec. 25, 2020) pick up will move to Monday, Dec. 28, 2020.
- New Year’s Day (Friday, Jan. 1, 2021) pick up will move to Monday, Jan. 4, 2021.
Regular Friday collection will resume on Jan. 8, 2021. Check your collection schedule and sign up for reminders at calgary.ca/collection.
Christmas Tree Composting
Help keep Christmas trees out of the landfill by composting your real Christmas tree.
Option 1: Put your tree in your green cart
- Cut your tree into small pieces to fit inside your green cart. Make sure the lid can close.
- Put extra branches into paper yard waste bags, roll closed and set 0.5 metres (2 feet) to the side of your cart.
Trees that are not prepared this way will not be collected.
Option 2: Bring to a tree drop-off December 26 – January 31
Tree drop-offs will be available around the city to compost your Christmas tree.
- Remove all lights, ornaments, garland, tinsel, string and tree stands.
- Do not wrap or bag your tree.
Find a list of drop-off locations at calgary.ca/christmastree.